The Village of Rycroft

Planning & Development


Planning and Development policies exist to ensure orderly, economical, and beneficial development in the Village.

Planning and Development Authority: CAO Peter Thomas

Development Authority Bylaw 209-19

Relationship Between Planning Documents

The hierarchy of documents within the Village of Rycroft’s Land Use Planning Framework is established by the Municipal Government Act (MGA).  The MGA requires that each level is consistent with the level above and below it, and that the policies or regulations within Planning Documents at each level may be implemented by those below them in the decision making process.  The MGA provides the legislative authority for municipal land use planning and decision-making, while Land Use Policies provide broad based policy directions and principles for municipal land use planning, which are effected through statutory plans and Bylaws.  The Intermunicipal Development Plan provides future direction for the development and use of lands at the fringe areas of the Village boundaries while the Municipal Development Plan provides direction for areas within the municipality.  The Land Use Bylaw (LUB) regulates the use and development of land based on the policy directions of development plans, while the Subdivision and Development Regulation regulates subdivision planning in conjunction with the MGA, applicable development plans, and the Land Use Bylaw. The polices, studies, guidelines and other documents contain additional information or specific requirements outside statutory plans and the LUB documents that are considered for certain types of development permit and subdivision applications. Where there is a conflict or inconsistency between a higher-level planning document and a lower-level planning document, the higher-level planning document prevails to the extent of the conflict or inconsistency.

The Village of Rycroft’s Land Use Planning Framework can be illustrated as follows:

  • Municipal Government Act & Alberta Land Stewardship Act
  • Provincial Land Use Policies
  • Intermunicipal Development Plan
  • Municipal Development Plan
  • Land Use Bylaw
  • Policies, Standards, and Other Documents
  • Subdivision and Development

Why do I need a development permit?

Development permits are required pursuant to the Village of Rycroft’s Land Use Bylaw.  The development permit ensures that the land owners proposed use of the land does not conflict with surrounding uses, complies with the Land Use District and meets the appropriate set-back distances from the property lines, utilities, buildings, roadways, and any other structures deemed relevant by the Development Officer.

Additional Permit Requirements:

After receiving a development permit from the Village, you may require additional permits for safety codes inspections such as:

  • Building Permit
  • Electrical Permit
  • Gas Permit
  • Plumbing

To find more information on where to get these permits click here to the Safety Codes Council website:

Amending the Land Use Bylaw

A person may apply to amend the Land Use Bylaw in writing to the Development Officer by completing Form J: Land Use Bylaw Amendment as below.  All amendments to the Land Use Bylaw shall be made in conformity with the provisions of the MGA and any applicable statutory plans. The Village of Rycroft may at any time also initiate an amendment to the Land Use Bylaw.

Development Permits

Any development that changes the use or intensity of the use of any property within the Village of Rycroft requires an approved Development Permit. Hard copies are available at the office for
pick up, or click the link below to print a copy.

Development Permit Application Information Package

Subdivision Application Information Package

Land Use Bylaw Amendment Information Package

Documents & Forms


Bylaw 220-20 to Amend LUB 215-19 by Adding Discretionary Use of a Residence

Bylaw 224-21 to Amend IDP Bylaw 213-19 by Redistricting Farmland to Industrial Land

Recreational Fire Pits

Recreational fire pits in the Village of Rycroft must be inspected every 3 years by a member of the Central Peace Fire and Rescue Commission (CPFRC). There is no charge for the permit. To arrange to have your recreational fire pit inspected by the CPFRC please call the Village office at 780 765 3652

Development and Demolition Permits Issued

Development and Demolition Permits 2022

Development and Demolition Permits 2021

Development and Demolition Permits 2020

2023 Approved Developments